Friday, July 25, 2008

Sunday

On Sunday morning, we went to a church that was up on one of the mountains that surround Guatemala City. It was an absolutely beautiful drive - we could see all of the city & even caught a glimpse of the volcano! (I'll post a photo of the volcano later - I got 2 really good shots but they were on a different day). The church we attended is non-denominational & they hold their services in an office building. The space was small but the message was fantastic! They sang all of the songs in Spanish & I only recognized the music on the last one they sang...and now I can't remember what song it was. :) The pastor did not preach, he turned the pulpit over to his brother-in-law. The pastor told the congregation they weren't getting rid of him that easily, though, because he would be on the stage translating the sermon into English. There were A LOT of English speaking missionaries & mission teams there on this day (I'm sure everyone was thankful he was going to translate - I sure was!). The speaker gave a sermon on crisis & related life to a roller coaster. He used many "US" references (like CNN & Six Flags) in his sermon to keep those of us from the US engaged. In the end concluded that we need to have a vision, have a close relationship with Christ, and have faith. He also reminded us not to be afraid during crisis but instead, to have a good attitude & enjoy the ride. After all - God is in control!
After church, we came back home & visited with Brandon, Shanna, & their girls (Anna Grace - 7 & Hallie - 4) while lunch was in the oven. We had Chicken Tortilla Casserole for lunch - very American, but very good! :) Here are some photos I took before lunch:

This is Daniel (4) and Hallie (4). Daniel is Jose (Hope for Guatemala founder) and Erin's son. Hallie & her sister Anna Grace (7), are our missionary's children. Anna Grace & Izzy (Tina's dog) are below:I don't remember which day this was taken but I had to share another photo of Hallie. She is the FASHION QUEEN!! And, these are her favorite boots - she wore them almost every day!


After lunch, we went to Brandon & Shanna's home take a tour & visit with them some more. Their house is in the same neighborhood as Tina's but it is in a newer section. Brandon & Shanna's home was filled with some beautiful furniture they had made by a local Guatemalan & they had a beautiful painting over their couch which was painted by a local artist. The colors that are used in the paintings are so vivid & just gorgeous! Brandon & Dustin played Wii upstairs while Sloan, Shanna, & I chatted downstairs. I've heard so much about Shanna (& her family) at church - it was great to finally get to know her better!
We headed back to Tina's around 8 pm & started blowing up the 75 balloons we would need for a game at VBS on Monday. Dinner was late (probably around 9 pm but I was on vacation, right?!) - we all munched on leftovers from lunch & dinner the day before. I had frijoles negros on corn tortillas with fresh pico. This was all leftover from Saturday night but it was still yummy!
Just in case you do not know - because I didn't before we got to Guatemala - corn tortillas in Latin American countries (or at least in Guatemala) are pretty much like the flour tortillas we have here in the US. Except, they are made with corn flour so they are a little denser than the flour tortillas we are used to. Most Guatemalans eat corn tortillas with almost every meal - I guess its sort of like those of us who grew up in the South & are used to having bread with most meals - biscuits for breakfast, bread on a sandwich for lunch, & a roll or cornbread with dinner. :)
(I'll post the photos mentioned above later tonight - have to run now!)

No comments: